Saturday, August 23, 2008

Two Days Off

We made it through the first week and now we've just completed two days "off". Our weekends are Friday (the Holy Day) and Saturday.

Friday morning I attended a church service with the Roddicks, our new BFF in Kuwait. David slept in (the heathen soul) and Anna was, being Anna. The service was a "rock and roll" version, for this in PR, it would be like going to the 830 Trinity service. For those who aren't in PR, it was a service that had lots of modern Christian "rock" songs, lots of hands held high (no this doesn't happen in Trinity..I think) and a inspirational message. For me, who has only basically attended church services where I was the organist/pianist, it was a nice change to just sit and sing for a change.

Friday late afternoon, we were treated to the Heritage Souk-think flea market with 100s and 100s of booths. It was amazing...gold, clothes, food (fresh fish and meat), shoes, etc etc etc. It was quite entertaining. For those family members reading this, if there is a heaven for Howard and Esther-this would be it!!

We didn't purchase anything--although God (and Allah) knows the shop owners sure tried to sell us something. "Miss, I have this for you," "Hello my friend, come this way" etc. Mostly we were there to check things out because I know we will return (can you say frequent shopper?)

We spent time eating a delicious meal and people watching. I have some pictures that I will post as soon as I get access to my computer.

Saturday I made a solo trip to the largest mall-the Avenues. The Mall of America in Mpls has nothin' on this place. It was H-U-G-E! Again I'll have photos later. It was beautifully clean and offered a wonderful selection of everything from fine tobaccos, food, clothes, perfumes and even a store for my Macintosh computer, should anything go wrong.

In the afternoon, we walked around with another newbie Cindy, who was getting tired of not hearing human voices in her apartment. We checked out the neighborhood "bakalas" --small corner stores to get immediate needs. David and Anna found a coop. It's good to know the neighborhood. You could tell we were definately the "Fer-in-neers" because we were walking around in the heat (oh I think it was about 117F). All the smart natives and accliminated ex-pats were inside.

We've been here one week. And we like it.
Let's see what next week brings.

Thanks for all your prayers, comments back on the blog and good thoughts. We KNOW THAT WE ARE LOVED!
Cheers

No comments: