Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Goodbye, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish


Pictured are the Three Musketeers--son Ben (right), "Brother" Peter Sasso-Lundin and second son Phil/Meister (son of Peter and my Pelican Rapids best friend Louise).  Peter and Phil have been the significant "other males" in my Pelican Rapids life-especially for the past two  years as we all grieved and tried to figure out a new path after Louise was tragically killed in a car accident.

Like my David, Peter also comes from tough stock. His parents, Lynn and Miriam Lundin, took their five children to Sweden on a teaching exchange in the late 60s and then again in the mid-70s. What courage, guts and strength that must have taken (Snella-you are more than a woman!) to be dropped in a country with five children and given a chance to make your way. Uffda! it's a good thing you come from Scandinavian bloodlines.

The Sasso-Lundins and Lundins live at a place we affectionately call "Sasso de Lago" (lake Sasso) in honor of Louise. It's my safehouse; with 166 acres, a private lake, cold beer, great fish and ample opportunities for good snackin' and smart talkin'. Being there has saved my sanity more than once during our time in Pelican Rapids.

There's lots of reasons why Peter and Phil are among our favorites. They are kind, nice, fun, creative, crazy, warm, smart men. There's other words too but I can't publish them on a "family" blog.

Peter has been our best supporter  as he reminds us how much fun we're going to have on this adventure, what opportunities lie out there for Anna and that, of course, he'll keep an eye out for Ben for us (So Then-who's really going to be watching out for who?!)

These are the boys that will be taking us to the airport on Friday, and watching us lug 12 suitcases into the terminal and waving goodbye (or aloha-however you want to phrase it).
I am dreading that moment. But they're be the same ones who will pick us up next June when we return. Life continues on and we don't have to live in the same place to stay close, right?

Be good boys. I know it will be "tough" without your social coordinator but you'll manage. And-in true Scandinavian fashion, in case you don't know it, I love ya so much I almost told ya!
EOBI Hugs (sorry folks...it's code) 

3 comments:

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

Just want to say nice job on the blog, and I'll look forward to reading about your adventures. Carry on!

Dalai Mama said...

I'm a fellow Lakenheath Lancer and former student of Mr. Albert too. Kelly Russell passed on the info about your upcoming move and I wanted to wish you both all the best. I have been to Kuwait (Ali Al Salem Air Base) but don't have anything useful to pass on! Enjoy yourselves immensely and write about it abundantly!

Bridgid MacSeoin (nee McGill Class of '76)

love2hike said...

Gary my dh commented, "Hey! Is Nadine a Douglas Adams fan (in reference to your title"? He loves D.A.

Yes, I married a geek.