Monday, August 18, 2008

Right to Left-not Left to Right

While trying to access my blog this morning, I came upon the Blogspot signin page. Not only was it in Arabic (wow!) but I realized after a couple failed attempts that the information is read right to left so the spot where I sign in was switched. I know there's NO WAY I'll ever be able to read Arabic, but at least I can guess which spot I access!

The same applies for traffic only you have to look right to left, then left to right, then again and then...run for your life. We were told that "they seem to make a sport of driving to scare drivers".

The call to prayer (5 times a day) is an interesting experience if you've never been in a muslim country. The caller (cantor? singer?) who is directly outside our apartment has a beautiful voice. It's a wonderful sound to hear. The same cannot be said about the guy who works (?) near the school. He's flat and it sounds like he's holding the microphone too close. (always a critic right?)

We are in Day 2 of workshop, and so far so good. Here's a quick update on the adventure so far:

**Flights were great, we arrived on time and so did all our luggage!
**Our apartment is wonderful, large, clean, marble floors, huge beds and it's about a 3 minute walk from school.
**We are being treated very well by the administration and staff. The new teachers are fun, open minded and glad to be here
**Oh yeah, it's hot...damn hot

Russ McLean, the superintendent, told us at our interview that we should bring little momentos from home in order to make the transition better. He was right--I am so glad I packed all those refridgerator magnets and photographs.

Pictures to come--it's definately a whole new world!
Cheers
Massalama (goodbye)

8 comments:

Di said...

hi Auntie!
good to "hear" from you! glad all is well, and yes...welcome!
best wishes on your first week - you know we're sending positive vibes!!! miss you already..ha ha!

ath said...

Glad to see all is well.Are the water carriers working?
ath

Debber said...

Hi Aunti!
Sending love and prayers,
Debber

Debber said...

Hi Aunti!
Love you lots and sending prayers for a good week! Debber

love2hike said...

Yeah! You made it! I will be reading your blog often.

Thinking of you.

Colorado Cuz

kimmer said...

have you found any flea markets yet? Is there anything you feel you need to go out and purchase? Perhaps sunscreen? Chocolate? Fudge, or perhaps Chocolate?

Marlys Ebersviller said...

So. . .KKO and I heard dat ewe moved so far away den. Are ewe even further den da Twin Citees? Ve went dere one time and uff da. . . it was so far away.

I hope this comment posts. I lost one in cyberspace the other night.

I'm glad your apartment is good and I'm glad you like the staff.

Take care. Marlys

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

Lifted from Wikipedia: "The muezzin (via Turkish müezzin from Arabic: مؤذن mu’aḏḏin) is a chosen person at the mosque who leads the call (adhan) to Friday service and the five daily prayers (also known as the salat) from one of the mosque's minarets (in most modern mosques, electronic amplification aids the muezzins)." So now you know!