Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blast Furnace

No matter how much I read and thought about it and prepared for it and bitched about it, there was no way I was prepared for how hot it is here. Yesterday it was like having an oven surrounding me. I had such a headache and cold then I walked home (3 blocks) crying the entire way.

It was probably as low as I've been since deciding to make this move.

Now--before you all grab kleenexs and weep a tear of empathy/sympathy for me...know that it was just temporary. (the feeling, not the heat-that's here to stay!)

To make life more interesting, this morning we experienced humidity (in the desert-go figure!). Those who live here assure me it's only temporary.

We're actually doing quite well. Got the apartment all spiffed up, pictures, momentos surround us. Yes I know we are loved and I've got YOUR pictures and cards up to get me through this time.

I haven't been around the area enough to give intelligent comments on the life or people. However, yesterday I had a VERY interesting experience. (NOTE: if you're bothered at all by talk of body functions, this next comment is not for you. Skip over if you wish)

First of all, there is a basic problem with sewage and the basic capabilities of the Kuwait sewer systems. So in the school, we are requested to not flush the toilet paper we use (yes folks we are asked to put it in the wastebasket). Then there is a little nozzle next to the toilet for those who want to "spray" instead of using paper. It's..an interesting experience.

Yesterday, while waiting to have more bloodwork done, we were in the Ministry hospital (think holocaust with men and women seperated. The women in our group (teachers) were too LOUD so we had to move to another building (imagine teachers talking too loud). The bathroom was a..squatter (Canadians told me this term I'm not sure if it's termed that in Q8). So, I practiced my very best "I grew up on a farm and learned to pee anywhere" skills and attitude. I survived, I didn't fall in, I didn't get my underwear wet and I'm still smiling! Who knows, I may develop even stronger thigh muscles.

Okay enough potty talk...on to higher learning. I promised my new principal I wouldnt' fall asleep in the video today (talk about making a bad first impression...)

THANKS for your comments and emails. Here's to you--and wherever you are, don't you DARE complain about the heat!

2 comments:

Di said...

Auntie,
you can brag all you want in January when we're -40...
think about that!!!

Kate said...

There were squatters all over TZ, too! I laughed out loud when I first saw them and figured it was a joke or that they were only in that bathroom and refused to use them. Then when I realized they were everywhere, I caved and actually got really good at using them. Your thighs totally get stronger :) Love you all!