Sunday, August 3, 2008

Things I've Learned in Preparing to Move

Moving out of one's home and cleaning every single nook and cranny of our house has given me new insight into some things.

#1 Photos should be placed in albums on a regular basis, not left in a box until a move or emergency situation. I just finished 15 years of photo organizing. Uffda

#2 We have too many clothes. In trying to cram the next two years of my basic needs and wants into 4 suitcases each (our goal for the trip), I have decided I really don't need four different red short sleeved shirts.

#3 I've had to separate my possessions into piles: 1) Take along 2) Store for at least 2 years 3) Give to friends to "babysit" )(will they think my precious possession is just junk? 4) Too precious to risk losing in flight or being ripped off by a wayward airport employee 5) Throw. Going through this process has reinforced what David has said all along: we have too much STUFF.

#4 Does bringing a lot of stuff from your former life leave any room for new stuff from the future?

#5 (...and this is the most important) While all these possessions, clothing items, pictures, etc are carefully packed into 12 suitcases weighing under 50 pounds each, they still aren't what's important. I am bringing tangible items to remind me of the intangible. Except for the dogs and Ben, I will have everything I really need sitting next to me in the airplane and in my heart and soul.

1 comment:

Di said...

AMEN!
I think everyone should have to do what you're doing at least once in awhile to remind us all what's really important! now...if we could convince the rest of those "out there"
Great seeing you yesterday, I will cherish the chat on the deck for years to come!
Diana