Monday, August 11, 2008

"Don't Know What You've Got Til It's Gone"


There is no alcohol in Kuwait. This summer, in preparation for living in a "dry" country, I have imbibed in more alcohol than I have in the previous 15 years! I wonder if I am trying to be like a camel, storing up liquid in my hump. For those of you who are worrying, I never drink alone and I always stop before I get stupid. (okay so skinny dipping at 2 am in Lake Minnewaska may not sound like an intelligent thing to do, but it seemed like a good idea at the time the other night!)

Pelican Rapids used to be a dry town. The Brown Girls, David's great aunts (may they rest in peace), were very fanatic Women's Christian Temperance Union leaders in this community. I purposely placed myself in a local restaurant the first day they served liquor..not to spite the Aunts, who I loved deeply, but rather to celebrate ah... progress.

In communicating with my new Best Kuwait teacher friend, Vonda (you will hear more about her in future blogs) she assures me that there is homemade "hooch" made from a variety of things. And that Dubai is only a short plane ride away for weekend junkets. Recently, I spoke with a US Army serviceman who tried to tell me that the Hard Rock Cafe serves liquor. I smiled politely but doubted him deeply.

SO, here's the deal...if you are reading this, and are one to enjoy a "bump or two" now and then, have a drink for me. I will report on the variety of homemade brew I come across in the next two years. Officially in Kuwait, "Fermantation is recognized as a scientific process".

It will be a tremendous burden to have to research this subject, but I'm up to the task. "Scoop Brown" is on the story...

No comments: