Friday, August 15, 2008

Killing Time in ORD (Chicago O Hare)

How does one creatively spend 7 hours in an airport?
Here's what I've done so far
1) Find the nearest bathroom-take my time
2) Leisurely stroll down from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 (or was it 2 to 1?) Watch people in a hurry give me dirty looks.
3) Ask my family to stop and wait while I find a book (Of course I forget the book I had been planning to read for a month at 204 north broadway). Get dirty looks from family.
4) Find a safe landing space for family. Leave them while I stroll to bookstore on my own.
5) Leisurely look through bookstore. It's been said that there aren't libraries (or at least good ones) in Kuwait. Contemplate starting a Used Book store in Kuwait.
6) Purchase three hardcover books (something I never do in the US!) Contemplate charging higher prices for book in new Used Book Store.
7) Leisurely stroll back toward gate where family awaits (they are busy reading and don't even notice I'm gone)
8) Purchase outrageously expensive Tylenol PM and camera batteries. A more organized person would have done this before hitting ORD. A more organized person probably wouldn't have moved to Kuwait.
9) Contemplate paying outrageous prices for an authentic Chicago Hot Dog. Decide I'm not THAT hungry.
10) Call credit card company and tell them I am moving. Cute, but not so bright, representative tells me they will call me if there's a problem with strange charges. Obviously she didn't understand the part about moving to Kuwait.
11) Feel kinda stupid when I find out that husband has already brought along Tylenol PM. A less independent person probably would have communicated with their spouse on such matters.
12) Feel not so stupid when I  find out that daughter has purchased sleep aid tablets. Laughout loud when I learn that daughter has purchased caffeine alertness tablets.
12) Sit down with computer (as family has already purchased internet time) and write on blog. 

Only 6 more hours to go.
I promise I won't write every hour (unless of course something terribly exciting happens)

The Adventure begins...Thanks for spending time with me.
Cheers

4 comments:

Olá sou Adrielle, mãe, mineira, casada e apaixonada pela vida. said...

Adorei, achei muito interessante!
Visite meu blog.

www.vivendoaoextremo.blogspot.com

Beijos e abraços!!!

Grandma Carol said...

I hope you didn't go to get a muffin & coffee at the last minute and expect Dr. Olausen to hold the plane from taking off!! Thinking of you! :)

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

If any of those books you bought were any good, please share the titles! Looking forward to your first impressions of Kuwait!

JoAnn said...

I missed you on Friday but did see the culligan man when leaving a goodie bag. I, too, did not think of batteries or sleep aids, but certainly will add to the next one. Tell tenant to suck helium from the one balloon and save the rest till you are in PR again. You will be happy to know the bulb from our lamp hung above the dance floor during the reception of your pr neighbors granddaughter's celebration. The bulb will have stories from its next location too!? Pray for you often. Think of you more often. Enjoy the experiences.