Monday, August 25, 2008

Me vs The "Wall"


NOTE: Here is the group of people we're in this Adventure with. Notice that I am in the front row (second from right) LAUGHING. Remember this as you read this post. It's not all Sobs and Sniffles here.
Well folks, it happened. Your chipper, perky aunt/friend/sister/chicka had a BAD DAY today. It's finally hit me that we're here to teach (a collective "duh" would be appropriate here) and I was totally overwhelmed with all the new initials (MYP, DP,IBO, etc) that I am expected to know plus put together all the things necessary to get a class going next week PLUS learn how to survive in the heat and make sure Anna is alright, blah, blah blah. My morning just plained sucked.

Then we came to work and ran into another newbie couple who have two children ages 1 and 3. They just arrived here 4 days ago because (get this story)... their child fell coming out of the airplane and required emergency stiches then they couldn't leave Canada until he was partially healed. Needless to say, they are on overload. I was priveledged to be trusted enough for the Momma to have a complete sobbing breakdown in front of me (sincerity intended). I realized that we have so many things going for us that I have no right to w-h-i-n-e (maybe not even that is allowed here!) about my life.

So tonight, we're in the school (like we've got a social life?!) looking through items and trying to figure out what the @#$% is going on. About the same thing we would be doing if we were teaching in the states.

And the momma, who lives above us, came down with her 3 year old and said things were going better. She came to thank me for "being there". NBD-We're all in this together!

One day, one hour, one moment at a time. I've got the "balls" to handle this job (hugs to Peter and Rita who get the inner meaning of this comment) AND I will succeed. Just think of me in front of that lil' engine...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

PS I've determined if you swear when it's really hot, it doesn't count because it evaporates just like sweat. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: