Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lookin' Fine at 49


In this picture are 6 members of the HHS class of '77. We gathered for one last hurrah Friday evening at the lovely home of "Dinger" and her doc spouse Scott (THANKS!! especially for the late night med rescue!).

This group of women may be from a small town (our graduating class was 36) BUT they are a mighty bunch. These women have endured and survived (Among other things) divorce, death of parents and siblings, near bankruptcy, depression, loss of vision, alcoholism (personal and spousal) miscarriage, vandalism, and a variety of other tragedies. We haven't gathered all together for at least 10 years. Listening to each of them tell their story (as the spotlight was equally shared) I was in awe and humbled by their strength, sense of humor (in tact!) and humility.

These women are also FUN! They are the group I used to party with in high school. We had some wild times back in the day (No, I am not sharing those stories--it's none of your business what we did!) They can still make me burst out laughing with just a mention of a few key words and they still make me smile as we share chapstick, beers and stories. These are the people I grew up with and as I travel the world, their down to earth advice and support will keep me going. (thanks also for the great cake and t-shirt!). It's good to have a group that can ground you.

Getting together with these chicks was a PERFECT way to end my Long MN Goodbye tours. Thanks ladies for all the memories in the past--and for new memories as we gather again next year. Next time maybe we can get Seib out of bed to join us and we can all go skinny-dipping!

No comments: