Saturday, January 10, 2009

Update from my couch...

Sorry I haven't written in a couple days. I seem to have caught a nasty cold bug and spent a couple days sniffling and laying on the couch. All is well now, just in time to complete grades!!

Weather is back to a bareable 65-70F (hey, don't yell at me, I don't control the weather, I just live here!)

The BIG news is that we finally have TV. I can see 20 English speaking channels and over 250 (no joke) Arabic and other language channels. Okay, that sounds very weak and whimpy, but believe me it sure does help to hear what's happening from home. Even if it's not the most positive news. (hang in there everyone!)

The best part is to catch what I know as familiar things (Bugs Bunny cartoons, sitcoms) with the Arabic dubbing. Foghorn Leghorn just doesn't sound the same without his extended Southern accent. But they do try to imitate the vocal qualities which is quite funny too. Imagine a "southern" Arabic accent.

AND my true personal favorite is to watch the Infomercials dubbed in Arabic. You know the guy with the pony tail and the baseball hat who tries to sell the exercise bike where you stand on it and pretend to run back and forth? He sounds GREAT in Arabic!

Also, on a more serious note, I can watch live footage from Gaza on several different channels. This is a BIG DEAL over here and the newspapers are filled with very graphic pictures and reports.

Okay, I'll get off the couch now and go back to a real life where I grade papers and figure out how to teach the Middle Eastern future theatre tactics. As if there isn't enough "drama" over here already?!

Yours til we fight over the remote...
NWB

No comments: