Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No I don't have my head in the sand...just my feet!



Sorry I've been so late in writing. My only excuse is that I've started a new semester with 8th graders and I've been working hard to make sure that they don't get the best of me. So far, so good.

This past weekend, I did get a chance to go to the "desert". On Friday afternoon, the BFFs, David and I took a drive up the road to see what we could see. It was my first experience really driving out of Kuwait City towards the desert, or, actually, towards Iraq.

All I can say is that I hope I never get lost out there because it is miles and miles of nothing but brown sand.

On Saturday, I was with a group of funseekers as we were celebrating EmbassyPeter's 60th birthday. We drove even farther than the point I reached on Friday. We even found trees!!

A tasteful, fun picnic sprang up and we had a great time. AND I actually got to see REAL Camels, not the ones on cigarette packs or the ones in pictures. Off in the distance, in the desert, was a group of wild camels walking along. It looked like a scene in a movie. Pretty cool.

In all the literature one gets about Kuwait and Things to Do, there's always a small paragraph that warns one not to stray off the beaten path because there are still a number of landmines that haven't been detonated. I thought about that as I wandered away from the group towards the abandoned house to take pictures. But, like other risks here, it was just a passing thought. The only time I got spooked was when a car appeared from out of nowhere. Well, there was a village about 1/2 mile away from where we were, but it really seemed like the car came out of nowhere.

I still don't know why there aren't any cactus' here.If I find out, I'll get back to you.