Thursday, January 22, 2009

Weeelllll, that's....Different



This is a picture I took at our IKEA store a couple months ago. I was actually looking to buy a new pillow when I stumbled upon this wonderful typo. I almost bought the pillow if it would give me that kind of support!!

Somedays, when I am feeling like a perfectly snobby American, I think my other career will be as an English proof reader in Kuwait. It's amazing how badly the English language is misused in "published" items, like the above sign. For example, we recently bought a devise that allows us to get television signals. I had to re-read the instruction manual a couple times to make sure I understood what they were instructing me to do without laughing.

Now that I've sounded like the perfectly pompous American, I acknowledge (humbly) that their English is much better than my Arabic. If you can imagine having to train your brain from learning Arabic (see picture of my friend Marisol's name)to learning letters as we know it, I would probably need a lot of "god support".

Once when my nephew Goose (family name) was visiting us in Minneapolis and we were driving through a very "interesting" part of town. He said "Look at all the weird people Aunti" and I reminded him that it wasn't "weird", just "different". That's my challenge here, to not immediately say "oh weird" or "how odd" but to learn to simply smile and say "well, that's different".

I'm learning, slowly.

1 comment:

Grandma Carol said...

Spelling errors drive me crazy! One would think that people would check spelling before publicly making fools of themselves. A few weeks ago, the McDonalds in Mankato had a message posted in the morning to "Come in & try our new lotte's"...when I drove by later in the afternoon the "o" was changed to "a". But yours was even better! Everyone can use some God support!