Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Emotional Times and Signs



These signs stirred up a whole range of emotions within me. The evacuation sign is within walking distance from our house. I'm still not sure if we are supposed to run there in the event of an emergency--invasion or bombing. It's actually just a parking lot. But it was good to know that there is a plan in place. (sorta)

Two of our newbie friends volunteered to be a part of an Evacuation Exercise a couple weeks ago. They had volunteers pretend to be wounded and the plan was to partipate in a full blown drill on how to evacuate in the event of a real emergency. Unfortunatly, as the Arab "Big Whigs" were in town for the Gulf Summit, they couldn't actually use any air space. But they had a good time and said that it was quite an experience. I hope I only hear about these things as "drills", not the real thing.

The other sign is on the road as we drove to the desert last weekend. It's the road that all US soldiers (soon to include my son) drive on to get to Iraq. We drove within 50 miles of Iraq on Saturday. I gotta tell you, it was a really weird feeling.
Who would have thought that the entire Brown family would end up in the Middle East?

Yesterday, our Middle School's secretary's husband (got all that?) had surgery. She's Muslim and keeps an eye out for me when I do something or say something wrong. This wonderful woman was quite nervous about the surgery and so I took a risk and asked her if it was alright if I prayed for a speedy recovery for her husband. She looked at me, smiled and say "SURE-Pray all you want. I really appreciate that".

Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy in other matters?

No comments: