Thursday, January 22, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes

"Mrs Brown, can I ask you a question?"
"Yes Abdullah (not his real name), go ahead"
"Do you know if Mrs Clinton is Jewish?"
"I don't think so, why do you ask?"
"Well if she's Jewish, then she will be more sympathetic"
"oh"
"And did you know that the Palestines knew that with Obama in the White House that they would be in trouble so they did all the bombing they could while Bush was still in office and then they've stopped with Obama?"
"Oh. (pause while I try to recover and think of something intelligent and teacher-like to respond with) Well, I'm amazed that you know more about what is happening in America than.."
"..Kuwait" replied his mother with a sad look on her face. I could tell she clearly was uncomfortable with his son's thoughts and desire to talk American politics.

It was an amazing, almost surreal conversation. I could see the interest, the passion and yet all I could think about was that in some countries, not too far from where I am now, young boys the same age, are given guns to fight with, instead of smart words.

On a chipper note, the conversation ended with the young man asking me out to breakfast. I think I'll go someday, but not before I do a little research.

No comments: