Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bloom Where you are Planted



Somewhere I read that when taking pictures, you should take a couple pictures of something that you see everywhere, even if it's not that exciting, because when you look at the picture, it will remind you of the place.
Well, we see lots and lots of Brown Sand here. So, I took an opportunity to write a postcard-like note in the sand and take a picture. Someday I'll look at it and say "wow, that's Kuwait." Funny thing is that it looks a lot like the sand shot I took in Belize, and the sand shot I took in Australia, but you get the idea.

I love taking pictures of desert flowers. The incredible heat in the summer and the relative (I said relative) cold in the winter time must be really hard on the plants. I have to admire anything that can grow here...I guess including me.

I've finally made my mind up that I'm going to stop being angry with Kuwait for what it isn't (that would be North America) and try to love it for what it is! Wish me luck.

PS I'm told this is a normal stage in the Culture Shock schedule. The next stage is acceptance and appreciation. I hope I'm inching towards that on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Spritacat said...

As someone who is considering a post in Kuwait, I have read your blog with great interest. We have lived overseas as expats previously in Japan. And except for the names, your experiences with cultural differences are strikingly similar to what we had. We eventually came to embrace Japanese culture as Americans. Perhaps we can do the same in Kuwait. Thank you for your honest writing.