Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Royalty and Wealth-a different perspective


A little Bling found in Italy. As we travelled through Italy, we saw lots and lots of gold jewelry. Kuwait has the same..gold like I've never seen it.


I used to envy people with wealth and power. But I'm not so sure as I have started to observe it more here. For example, recently Kuwait hosted a Gulf Summit with Middle East Leaders here. We didn't notice much difference except the roads were closed down during certain parts of the day, and I didn't see a lot of airplane traffic. The Emir played host and I haven't read the newspaper yet to see if there was any resolution. One thing for sure, things they are a changin' here in the Middle East too. I just heard that possibly two more large US corporations aren't having their contracts renewed. HHmmm, maybe it won't the the place with all the money!?

I watched the Emir (on television) greet all the heads of state as they arrived on their private planes. I'm sure this is standard procedure for that sort of thing but it made me smile. How would you like to do this job?
1) Meet the important people as they leave the planes
2) Depending on how much you like them and vice versa, you give them two air kisses or a hand shake
3) Walk down the red carpet (placed new for each person) smiling and waving to cameras
4) Sit with the other important person, with all "your" people on one side and all "their" people on the other, smile and make small talk while the cameras photograph you for the respective country papers. Make sure the coffee and tea keep flowing--at least in public.
5) Go back and do it all over again for each person who arrives.

This country is very BIG on protocol and being seeing doing the right thing. Sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer from the kids because they all know what they are "Supposed" to be saying in response (Well, I guess that's really not any different than back home) but here it's practiced throughout the classes.

Recently I met a 5th grader who is part of the Royal Family. While he is only 10, his responses and social courtesies far outweighed most adults I've met for the first time. It's amazing what is taught as such an early age.

Speaking from experience I know that someone who comes from a simple background has a greater appreciation for the spectular. But I've never thought of it in reverse--as coming from "have" to "have not".
For example while showing my class the Movie "Annie" (it was one of the few movies that was actually approved by the Ministry of Culture--all movies and plays have to be), there came the scene where Annie enters Daddy Warbucks house for the first time. As I've watched the movie and directed the play, I always perceived that anyone watching this scene would also be impressed by Daddy Warbucks wealth, servants and general lifestyle. As I'm showing this movie here, I'm realizing that some of my students live in the same style home and the sight of many maids and staff is nothing new to them.
BUT...I bet theirs don't sing and dance. At least to Broadway-style music.

Fortunately, the movie was a hit with the kids (few had seen it) although the concept of coming from little or nothing sure didn't strike home as much as it does for others.

Just a reminder that the "Rose Colored Sunglasses" that many people look through here certainly cost more than I'm used to spending.

No comments: