Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Liberty and Justice for All

I just returned from the AIS Auditorium where cheering, happy souls gathered to watch the CNN coverage of the Inauguration of Barack Obama as 44th President on the Large TV screen. Even our school owner was there- a Lebanese born woman whose father was granted Kuwaiti citizenship by the Emir. She cheerfully dressed in Red, and Blue (close) and applauded along with us. The Canadians got into the act, cheering and clapping too. I smiled to see my new colleagues--Christine from France, Anne from Nova Scotia and Mariamme from Eqypt, enjoying the moment almost as much as the Americans.

We had balloons, flags, cake, coffee and lots of loud and happy cheering. We all stood and placed our hands on our hearts to sing the National Anthem. We hooted at Michelle's wardrobe (smart look girl) swayed with Aretha and listened with all of our attention to the Speech.

This is the first inaugural I've ever watched on TV. I'm not political at all but I must say that I am proud right now of America. I was especially moved as I sat next to Sally, an African American woman from New Jersey and Luke, a young African American man from Chicago, and could see the tears running down their cheeks. I will never be able to totally understand the magnitude of this Presidency because I've always been "accepted" and never been denied anything because of my color.But you can bet they (Sally and Luke) understand it only too well.

Although this day is joyous and historic, I know there are tough days ahead. As the mother of a son about to go to Iraq, I know what I would like to see as his President Obama's first agenda priority. But there are a few other issues on his plate I'm sure. Like the whole economy situation. I'm not embarrassed to say that we would like to return to the US one day and work as teachers. Here's hoping that there will be that opportunity for us in the distant future.

It's an odd feeling to be congradulated for electing a president. Yet, many people came back from Christmas break with stories of people around the world actually saying words of encouragement about the US election results. The world view of the US may not have been the brightest but it's sure on a roll right now. May that feeling of optimism and hope continue.

No comments: