Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ship it

For my dear people in MN who are enduring an unseasonably snowy and cold winter this year..I am thinking of you! (yeah like that does a lot of good right?)

All these Canadians who we were in contact here tried to tell us that it gets cold here but NOOOOO, this hardheaded MN German/Norwegian was toooo stuupid to listen and bring the sweaters they told us to bring. Purchasing sweaters here is a little like purchasing one ply toilet paper--it looks like the real thing but when you got to use it, it just doesn't cut it. So I am going to have to put David on a shopping mission when he returns home for an 8 day visit to his dad in February.

My list has already started..he's going to have to purchase:
*Sweaters, turtlenecks and a down vest (HEY, 45 is cold when you live in a country with no central heat and work at a school with no heating system....)
*Lots and Lots of paperbacks. I have been reading up a storm (pardon the pun if you're reading this in a blizzard!) and in desperate need of something other than the romance novels that accumulate in the staff lounge (who says teachers only read textbooks?!)
*Diet coke with lime. A harmless addiction I picked up two years ago and I've been cold turkey since August 15. sigh...The diet coke here tastes different in general-see reference to one ply toilet paper.
*Get ready WalMart Photo Center, here I come. Photodeveloping leaves a little to be desired here in Kuwait so David will have to make a special WalMart run to pick up pictures. Who would have guessed that I could download pictures in Kuwait and pick them up in Fargo?
*Red Licorice. Best comfort food ever.
*A drain stopper for my sink. Who would have thought that such a simple little home item would have caused the search of the century?

Otherwise, we can purchase almost anything else here, it just might take a little looking to find it. Oh-not cottage cheese. There are about 45 different kinds of cheese, from a number of countries, but no cottage cheese. In fact, I got a very strange look from the lil guy at the big grocery store on Saturday when I tried to find it. I kinda think he thought that "cottage" was a country because he showed me the Holland Cheese and the French Cheese, etc.

Dear 4H friend Banner sent me two boxes of Miniwheats recently. Thanks babe-, they That was SO COOL. I shared them with some of my students and once they got past the strange look on their faces (c'mon, they do look like little bales of cotton), they thought they tasted okay. More than okay, they ate half the box before I cut them off.

If I think of anything else. If you see anything you think I need at Winter Clearance sales (they must have the summer wear out by now right?!) pick it up for me. I'll pay ya back...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nadine ~ I really, really like your blog! And just in case no one has told you yet ~ it was 34 degrees below zero this morning!! Yikes! Have you been keeping up with our PR Vikings? They are awesome! Life in PR is good!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I've been reading your blog for awhile and have commented before. I'm with you on a number of things. Sink drain for one, I went home in Nov and brought back a kitchen aid stopper. Didn't work. The drains here seem to be bigger than our standard drains. Your hubby may need to bring a few ( or get a plastic dish pan like I did ) =)
I did, however, find cottage cheese at the salmaya sulton center ( as well as lipton ice tea bags ) Not luzziane but doable. When I went back to the states I went to wallyworld as well to stock up on sweatsuits for the family . Also a couple sweaters for our furbabies . =)