Saturday, January 3, 2009

Learning Metric-New Year's Resolution #1

Earlier I wrote about what my New Year's resolutions will be. They were the standard ol' boring "lose weight, blah blah blah". Well, I've had some time to think it over and I've decided that THESE are my Foreseeable Future New Year's Resolutions (or, the FFNYR)

FFNYR #1
I am going to learn Metric. Most of the world is able to tell what temperature it is or how far distances are or other important stuff like that. I am tired of depending on other people for these basic needs. It's not my fault that I didn't learn it in 5th grade (oh about 1970) when they were "Threating" to teach us. (Those of you in Canada and Europe reading this can "tsk tsk" me. I deserve it!)

FFNYR #2
I am going to start to purchase things (and/or aquire) that will make my life comfortable. For the first four months of our life here, we were living an almost college like existence with furniture and other necessities lower on our list. Now I'm going for a comfortable couch (ours is like a board) AND I'm getting TV. But if I get the comfortable couch I maybe will spend more time reading.

FFNYR #3
This one may be harder, but I am checking into a personal trainer. If Oprah can do it, so can I. Okay, this sounds pretty haughty, but actually there's a guy who lives two floors about us who is trained in doing it. And it might be my chance to make that other NYR come true (the one about losing weight).

FFNYR #4
After hearing stories of others vacations in India and the Filipines and other places, I will stop whining about my life here. Really, I have a lot to be thankful for. At least we don't have to pay to pee, like in Europe!

FFNYR #5
I can't control my son's immediate departure for the Middle East. But I can learn to accept it. And remember that my mom didn't see my brother but every two years when he was living in Kansas, California and Kansas. There are people who don't see their children every week, month or even every year. I will stop feeling sorry for myself, put on my big girl pants and deal with this (read that last sentence and think of me with my hands on my hips stomping my feet!)

There--that's a long enough list. Oh FFNYR #6-I'm also going to stop making long lists that may look good on paper but are unrealistic in their ability to be accomplished. You should have seen this list before I edited it (smile)

No comments: