Wednesday, January 28, 2009

While Walking Around the Neighborhood One Day




This is a picture of an establishment near our apartment. We are not quite sure what it is. Someone once told us it was a place to get pictures framed, then someone else told us it was a brothel. I highly doubt the second one, but I am confused because it never appears open.

Last night we walked by around 8 pm and lo and behold it was open. I still don't have any idea what it is although there was a guard at the front door, all the lights were on and it sorta looked like it could be a salon of some sort.

Salon is the word for beauty parlors. There are Women's salons and Men's. Actually, most of the time the signs say Women's Saloon. (no that's not a typo, they mostly are called Saloons.)

It's a unique experience visiting a woman-only hair saloon, I mean salon. Of course, you realize that they are women only because that is the only way that Muslim women could uncover in public if it was guaranteed there would be no men in the place. Signs actually say "No Men Allowed".

Whatever it is, I love the Camel sculpture out front. I want to bring it to our apartment, but David is against the idea. I swear, some days that man has no sense of adventure!

No comments: