Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Wicked Stichin' Heaven





Over the past couple years, friends ME, JT, KB, ATH and others have assisted me in my beginner sewing attempts and helped me learn how to quilt. Last night I went to a place where you all would just (pardon the expression) DIE. If the saying "She who dies with the most fabric wins"--you all would just be happy to lie down here.



There are places (Souks) that specialize in items. I've been to the Heritage Souk, (old market) and the Friday Markets (Flea Markets gone Crazy) but last night I went to the Fabric Souk. Absolutely amazing fabrics, colors, textures, shapes, wow--I just had my mouth open all the time (not too flattering I'm sure). The brightness of the designs and the complete different patterns and fabrics were just a beautiful site. I stole two pictures from someone else's blog (handy this internet searching tool called google!)



My friends purchased fabric for a tailored coat, pants and skirt. It will be beautiful when completed. They said it costs around 20KD (about $75) to have complete outfits tailored including two fittings. The fabric they purchased (out of this world beautiful) was about $50. Not bad for a completely tailored business appearel. Of course it's not the 75% off sale at Herbergers, but for the item, it's a great deal.



Side note: The man who sold the material is from Iran. He was talking about how hard it is to get a visa into Canada (our friends are Canucks). The other woman (also American) and I had a silent agreement to not say anything about the fact that we were from America. There are times when it's good to not be wearing the red, white and blue. I don't think this man would have said anything, but it was a subtle feeling that it was just best to keep our heads down. Other than the group of college students I saw at MSU in the late 70s, (young men sent to the US by their fathers to get an education and a wife, I think was the story) this is the first person from Iran I've engaged in conversation.


I remember when the Turk lived with us last year and he was amazed when he had a conversation with our Somalian students. All these years of hearing bad things and then when you meet someone face to face, all the bad images seem to melt away. It's a small world indeed Walt.

No comments: