Saturday, September 6, 2008

Become more AWARE


Thursday evening we went to the AWARE center- a place that has, as it's mission, to increase friendship between Westerners and Arabs. We were treated to an informative slide show on Kuwait, Ramadan and some customs. Then we pigged-out-seriously-I actually heard this term used by a local which made me smile--especially after they told the story of someone thinking that it meant the PIG was OUT of the fence. Why they were even talking about Pigs in a country where pork is a Mortal go-to-hell-if-you-touch-it Sin I'm not sure, but it was a good story.

The AWARE center gives lectures, meals, etc to all who are interested. I sat at a table with a lovely couple-he was British, she was Czech and their precious, precocious 6 year old daughter. He is an executive with a big electronics firm here. She is a "housewife" but she goes to the well known (and quite expensive) health club here. Unfortunately if one doesn't work here, I can't imagine how you meet people. I'm sure the fee (about $2700) to join the health club is worth every bit of her sanity.

We really enjoyed learning about Kuwait-- it's always good to learn about one's host countr
Last night we went to dinner at Chili's (yes the Chain that you also find in Fargo and other bright places). It was a bizarre moment to hear the Phillipine waiters and waitresses singing the dorky "this is your birthday" song. After that, we went to the heritage souk (market) to purchase (are you ready for this...a floor mop for the maid! (yea I know we REALLY know how to live it up!)

This morning we were treated to a delightful boatride on the Arabian-oops sorry, PERSIAN Gulf. It was beautiful. We were on a lovely boat-the lady Sirban-cruising with about 40 of our newbie friends and their children. The gulf is a beautiful green-blue, not many birds soaring about (it's probably too hot for them too!) and it was a pleasure to just be out on the water.

I tell you all this not to impress you with our buldging social life, but to illustrate how we are coping. We-okay I --am homesick and would give all the dinar in my pocket to see a familiar face. But I guess that's a part of this gig. I knew this would happen, it just is painful when it does.
I imagine it's a part of the roller coaster that we'll be riding all year.

David and Anna seem fine. I didn't expect David to get homesick because he is used to this lifestyle. I don't know about Anna--anyone got any tips for a 15 year old??!

She's joined the volleyball team, which is a good thing. That will keep her moving and meeting people. This morning I lay in bed enjoying the sounds of her and David bantering and laughing. Some of the good things are still here.

1 comment:

austinjh said...

If I had the money, I would totally be there in a heartbeat! Kristin Fox and I are tempted to take a trip to see you guys...but being in college eats away at money quite fast. Anna told me that for christmas you're heading to germany/venice! I'm incredibly jealous! Take pictures of all the castles you see in germany!

~Austin Haarstad