Saturday, September 13, 2008

We (only) get by with a little help from our Friends

Following the excursion to Kuwait Towers (see below) we had dinner (at Rudy Tuesdays-how American can one get?) with our fellow newbies and we purposely chose to eat with the other Minn-a-sootan, Jessie.
I was mentioning to this lovely young girl (she's about 26ish) that I admired her because she was doing this adventure as a single person. There have been so many times that I have been so thankful for David and Anna's presence on this whole new world adventure. I really don't think I could have (or would have) done it alone. It was then that I found out she had been to India and, in the category of "it's a small world" (this one's for you Peter) we found out she had taught at the same school (Woodstock) where we had interviewed (we refered to it as the Hillcrest of the Himalyas) and where Janelle Stewart (from PR) had visited as her friend works there.
This woman is also another amazing example of the adventuresome spirit that seems to run strong here.

Friday night we were out with our other "old" newbie friend CC. She's 10 days older than David (yea, really old) and this is her first teaching position as she switched careers. Even more amazing, she got the job here on August 1st and arrived on August 15. Those of you friends and family who were lucky enough to be close enough to us this summer to get "stuff sprayed on you" remember how frantic David and I were for 6 months...this chick did it all in 15 days.
Uffda.
CC is in danger of "going under" from too much self-imposed stress. She teaches 8th grade English (yes, she deserves a special place in Heaven) and she's working too hard at trying to figure out the systems, the grading, the swing of being a teacher and other stuff.
SO HERE I AM TO THE RESCUE (my tights and cape made the trip just fine thank you) I said "Cindy you are NOT going back to your apartment alone to eat, we're going out!" And I half-drug here down the street to a restaurant.
In this environment, we all have to save each other. I've been "Saved" a couple times and it was my turn to pay it forward.

Speaking of Uffda, yesterday I also found two other people who understand the true meaning of the word (I've decided to stop trying to explain it because people really don't get it). The world really is small. As a final note, (and I'm not kidding) our doorbell on our apartment actually plays "It's a small world after all". I'd love to meet the person with that sense of humor.

No comments: