Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bridging the Gaps


NOTE: THANKS TO ROLAND JORDAHL, Photographer extraordinaire and FRIEND,who sent me this gorgeous picture of the Rotary Suspension Bridge across the Pelican River. Lordy, I give thanks for Jordy!

I thought this was a fitting picture to publish as I try to explain how we're trying to BRIDGE our North American Experience with our Middle East Experiences.
We're finding that many things here are the same (example: the ability to purchase western products, how kids react in school, American TV availabilities-although we don't have TV) and that many, many things are different (living in a Muslim country, the extreme heat (which is getting better!), life in a rather large city).
For example: Yesterday we were supposed to be issued our bank cards , for use when we actually get paid (which will be in a week...and counting). They told us to in the school lobby at 2 pm to meet with the bank representative. We waited...and waited...and waited. We were told repeatedly that they were "15 minutes away". Finally, at 330 pm, we were told we could leave and the bank rep would come another day OR we could stay in the chance that he did show up. By now it had become sort of a "well I'm darned if I've waited this long I'm going to wait it out" game for some of us and a source of serious aggrivation for others. Some left, some stayed.

I stayed while David went to watch the Volleyball game. At 345, the manager showed up, no apologies, just "here I am". So, while none of us outwardly complained ( we are all newbies and still under the learning curve), we were not all that pleased. If this had been a cartoon strip, there probably would have been bubbles coming out of our heads saying "Well, in North America this never would have happened".

SO, Danid got his card given to him. NO-it's not a typo. That's how my spouse's name is spelled on our bank card. We don't exactly know if this will give him trouble in future withdrawls, but it is what it is. Then I waited as the manager went through all 31 other applications. AC (another newbie) and I joked about not making the team if we didn't get a bank card. Well, AC did-although they didn't have his card ready either, he only got a temporary one. AND GUESS WHO DIDN'T HAVE an account processed. Yup, lil Ms Me.

I wasn't angry (actually I was very hungry which had surpassed any thoughts of anger) I was more amused-in a sort of "how in the world could this happen in a professional setting" sort of way. Another newbie, who spent 5 years here 10 years ago (got it?), was really angry, stormed off after saying a few choice Arabic words and making a few gestures. I didn't know exactly how to react. Is one supposed to show anger? Is one supposed to be MN Nice and say "oh that's alright". We're still not sure.

"Inshallah, I will return Wednesday with your card, Miss. Sorry" is what the man said. (Remember that phrase? It means "if God wills it"). Again, not quite knowing what emotion to use, I just left laughing. Fortunately we have no money to withdraw right now anyway so it's sort of a mute point. But to be without access is frustrating-if even in theory.

To ease the pain (or rather to calm me down) David suggested we go out to eat at this Lebanese restaurant in our neighborhood. He knew that food was a prime need for me and he hoped that the walk would do me good. He was right. We had previously enjoyed this restaurant last week and the cute, very customer-service waiter, Mustafa (yeah like Lion King) remembered our order from last week. We were so impressed. It sorta restored my faith in humanity.

SO we live and we learn and we grow here in the Middle East. If there was a cartoon bubble above my head right now it would be saying "Inshallah, we will have another day with new experience which will give us yet another story".
Keep the Faith


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh dear. So, the question becomes, which is worse? I get to deal with an inept financial aid department who loses charges for housing and somehow manages to NOT inform us that we have a 350€ deposit ($500) on our apartments that we are personally responsible for. Strange how, in the course of the millions of financial aid meetings I went to, no one caught that, even when I directly asked about it, finding it funny that Hamline would cover a security deposit.

Oh, money. Would it be unrealistically lovely to not have to deal with it?