Monday, September 22, 2008

It's really safe here Mom...really it is!


NOTE: I found this bumper sticker on the side of an old building the other day. I wish I knew more about the history behind it, but I can tell you it made me feel safe.


There are those of you reading this blog whose first question when we told you we were moving to Kuwait was, "Is it safe?" Which was followed by "Aren't you scared?!" C'mon fess up...you know you said it (or thought it) when we told you we were headed to the Middle East.
Here are my first month impressions on that subject:

#1 Our superintendent told us that if it weren't for CNN, you wouldn't know there was a war happening 200 miles away. We thought he was kidding. He wasn't. We truly do not see any visible signs of a war happening in Iraq. I haven't seen anyone in uniform (although I know the troops are here-and I'm glad). I haven't seen any military vehicles. And the only gun I saw was when the Emir's guard was suggesting that I truly do move across the street (post from last week)

#2 We don't feel threatened or followed or nervous. For the overwhelming majority, the people who live here are peaceful, content people. (Except if you tork them off while driving. But that's another story). We feel safe walking around at night. Almost every night I walk along the Gulf, pitch dark (with others of course) and don't feel nervous at all. I was afraid that moving here meant I would never walk alone for two years. That fear is gone.

#3 I don't even know if people bother to lock their cars in parking lots. Some nights we don't lock the door to our apartment (but the main door is locked) .There's just a calm atmostphere all around. Friday night we went to the crowded Markets and didn't even feel threatened or bothered about people coming up to us.

#4 I've heard there are the few random beggars but they haven't made an appearance in my sightlines.

#5 AND THIS COULD GET ME IN TROUBLE WITH MY REPUBLICAN RELATIVES SO APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE...

I feel that the biggest injustice that was done TO the Muslim people was the travesty of 9/11. The Muslim people I've experienced are peaceful, family-oriented, not looking to slit my throat because I'm an American (which I don't hide).

#6 I can say that growing up in Pelican Rapids has certainly prepared us for life here. The diversity doesn't even phase us, nor does the site of women in full hejabs and men in dishtashas.

#7 I think I'm getting a chance to practice what I preached. When I worked as a Cultural Collaborative Coordinator sharing Pelican Rapid's diversity with 9 area schools, I publicly stated that my biggest hope would be that kids from other schools could say "Hey I met this really neat kid from Pelican Rapids. He's fun, smart, talented. Oh yeah he's from Somalia (or Mexico or wherever). I wanted students to meet the PERSON before meeting the RACE. I am glad to say that I know fun, smart, talented people from this country who happen to be Muslim.
Thanks to my guardian angels watching over us, Life is Good here.
And yes I promise to start locking my doors--if only to make you feel better.



2 comments:

love2hike said...

I ageee! I have Muslim friends...and, they would never think of harming Christians.

People in the U.S. need to educate themselves on the Muslim religion. There are fundamentalist Muslim; just like there are fundamentalist Christians. Religious shackos are Universal.

GO OBAMA!!!!

p.s. He is NOT Muslim. lol

love2hike said...

oops! I meant Religious whackos. HA