Sunday, September 21, 2008

Confessions of a Cat Hater


I hate cats. As a species I find them fickle, sneaky, not very interesting creatures. But individually, I have known some great kitties.

Here in Kuwait there are literally thousands of cats. They were brought over to help cure the rat problem. I don't know when but I would venture to say that there "ain't no rats here no more" because of the sheer number of cats.

I've actually grown to respect these tough critters. There is no fancy box stuffed with rags for them to sleep in. 99% of them have probably never seen a home outside of the garbage cans or street they find residence in. They have to find their own food (although some people do feed them I suppose). They are sorta mean looking--in a "don't mess with me human" sorta way. They don't easily scare, they lie in the shade and maybe pay attention as we pass by. Maybe not. Depends on how much interest they want to show.
As a sworn dog-lover, I supposed it's in my nature to hate cats. But as I don't have any dogs to love here, I am learning to tolerate and maybe even accept these light-footed creatures.

The other day I saw the perfect "picture". But without camera, I could only snap it in my mind. I'll try to re-create it for you.
The Medan Hawalli police station is across the street from us. In the sand lot by us and in front of the police station there are impounded cars. One of the cars was a lovely green Jaguar. This kitty was lying on the hood, stretched out as far as she (he?) could be. It was in perfect alignment with the fancy Silver Hood Ornament that distinguishes Jags. The photo would have been a wonderful representation of how these cats feel about life here. OR at least in my interpretation, never having been a cat (I think).

The cats seem to have the heat and traffic and noise all figured out. I can almost imagine what they would say to me (if they chose to speak to me, that is)
"Just Chill Human, you can take care of yourself, look at me."
HHmmm ...maybe I should be taking lessons from felines.

Lest you think it's just me that thinks this way of cats, here's a piece from the Kuwait Times newspaper:
Too cool to care, the cats of Kuwait rule the streets. Residential streets, industrial areas and the beachfront are all spots that the undomesticated cats of Kuwait call home. They have a casual demeanor and a laidback attitude that is distinctly feline. These furry creatures are able to do something most animals can't; tough out the tough Kuwaiti streets; and let's not forget the lovely Kuwait weather.These Kuwaiti felines walk around like the kings and queens they are. Kuwait is their country, we just happen to live here. Being extremely territorial, each family chooses a location and builds a life. It almost seems as though our presence is bothering them at times.
The great thing about this country is that you can see all kinds of cats swaggering around the various areas. You have your tinny tiny kittens that are so skinny and cute with their little paws and that small hop in there step; I just want to pick them up and give them a squeeze. Then, you also have their mothers always close by, the type of cats you don't want to mess with; she just gave birth and she will let you have it if she feels threatened

No comments: