Saturday, September 27, 2008

Turning 12 Sucks (or not...)


Thursday one of our newbies daughter turned 12. She (The daughter) is having a hard time adjusting to life here (it's got to be hard on the kids!) and so her mom, also a teacher, sent out an email inviting the AIS teachers who would like to, come and celebrate the daughter's birthday. The party was held at the Hard Rock Cafe in Kuwait (pictured above)

47 people showed up to help this lil' miss celebrate her birthday. It was an amazing moment for the sweet princess and also for the rest of us. We know that we're not alone here and that if we just ask, help will come.

It was a fun night of laughter and learning about others. I got some dirty looks from the Kuwaitis in the restaurant when I started to dance to Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire". (I forgot that dancing is a no-no here). I didn't even have anything to drink (obviously!)
The event was a wonderful one for the daughter. I'm taking her to a ceramics class tonight at one of the malls. No one should have to turn 12 without the proper amount of celebration!!
The whole event also cured one of my fears. That when I turn 50 in March, there will be people to celebrate (without me) in North America AND there will be people here to help me cheer, twist and shout. No one should have to turn 50 either without a hip hip hurray (before the hip, hip surgery!)





1 comment:

Intlxpatr said...

turning 50 in a new and challenging environment is a total trip! It's like "hey! I'm still alive, and still learning new things, and learning I can survive in a totally alien new environment!"

It's a great feeling.