Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pleasantly Surprised


Wednesday afternoon I had to make a trip to see the Doctor. Nothing serious, just a plugged ear that has caused me not to hear well for a month.
I was not looking forward to making this trip. First of all, it would be my first solo cab ride; secondly, when we had to get out chest xray, it was a "Scary" experience that I would not want to repeat. Something about being in an "institutionalized" medical facility gives me the ebbie-jeebies.
But the fact was that I can't hear out of my left ear and that makes teaching difficult. So, I reluctantly made an appointment (got a name from the BFF) with the Doctor.
Surprise #1--they could see me the next day and I had my choice of times after 2 pm.
Surprise #2--the cab ride was nice (thanks to the guard at school who takes care of me and got me a reliable taxidriver)
Surprise #3--I was seen at exactly the appointed time, and the appointment took 5 minutes
Surprise #4--I received a prescription, went downstairs in the building to purchase the eardrops and the cost was less than $1.50.
Surprise #5--The appointment was $40 (total) and it all took less than 15 minutes from the time I entered the building to when I was walking out. I later found out that even if I would have to had x-rays, bloodwork, etc--it would have still remained at $40.

A TOTALLY pleasant surprise. The clinic was in a beautiful, clean building, the female doctor is a lovely Eqyptian woman. She and her nurse handle the appointments right in her office.
Not that I'm looking forward to being sick here, but next time, I will not be afraid of the appointment.

1 comment:

Vaidegi J said...

:>) me too was absolutely floored sorts, after my trips(s) to the clinics here.
everything is so fast, and as ud mentioned not expensive, and you actually look forward to falling sick all over again!(inshallah!!) :)