Thursday, September 18, 2008

Getting ready for Royalty


We live across the street from the Kuwait Blinds Association. (no they don't sell blinds, it's a place for blind people. That is exactly what it is called)

Anyway, we knew something was up over the past two weeks as they've been very actively sprucing up the place.

My favorite was when they removed the bricks on the sidewalk, hand-carried them (in a wheelbarrow) to the sandlot about 150 feet away. I was thinking they would stay there for at least a year. Five days later, at 10 pm, five large dumptrucks came roaring in with a loader and took care of the pile of bricks. From what I understand, the bricks were replaced last year.

Each year during Ramadan, the Emir (or his appointed representative) visits facilities that are under his patronage.


When we came home last night, there were several flashing police cars, armed security guards and what looked like a motorcade for someone "important". We came home at the exact moment they were departing. We were prohibited (for a moment) from walking down the street while the motorcade passed. It was fairly exciting as they departed in full speed, lights flashing, several cars as to disguise the exact vehicle the Emir was riding.


It reminded me of the time we were in London during the wedding of Chuck and Di in 1981. I wanted to see the royal passage from a tree (great vantage point) but a Bobbie (cop) made me get down. I actually said (with much embarrassment now) "I came all the way from Herman Minnesota to see this wedding".

Last night, when David suggested we move, I said "no". He then pointed my attention to the security guard standing on the corner, pointing at us, with a gun (not quite pointed at us but he had a serious look on his face) saying that we move. I said to David "I came all the way from Minnesota to see this". I was kidding. The policeman was not.


Later on, our BFFs, who have a 4th floor view of the whole event, assured us it was NOT the Emir because "there weren't snipers on the roofs". It was somebody important, just don't know who.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if there was a motorcade, it must have been someone at the very top...Doubt if anyone else in the hierarchy gets that kind of security