Thursday, February 20, 2014

"I am so glad I had the opportunity to be in this place" (translation)

Returning to the Koln (Cologne) Cathedral: a dream for the past 11 years. When our family first visited here in 2003, I was so awestruck I couldn't find the words. That was before I had the opportunity to travel to many other Cathedrals and before I had read Ken Folliet books detailing the building of cathedrals. But it's still a beautiful and amazing space.

 The detail in the whole building is what is such an unbelievable site. It just seems to go on and on and on (which it does). The back of the building is as intricate as the front (this is the back by the way)
 Inside there are carvings, stained glass windows, burial tombs, mosaics, etc. The one above is St Christopher, the patron saint of travelers.
 When I view a space like this and see the intricate windows, it makes me feel especially sick about the fact that there are wars and places like this are bombed. Fortunately there wasn't much damage to this place. There is a window that was damaged and they've replaced it with the modern look of multi color glass pieces. (no photo here). It's sad to see, but the guide book said it was because there wasn't any records of how the window looked. *Sigh
 My beautiful traveling companion, Godsister Marion. Our family is so blessed to have her in our lives.
This is a piece of "art" that we saw at the Ludwig Museum, a modern art space that has some truly "head scratching" pieces (as in "THIS is art?") But this plaque, found outside, states my new Life Motto "I am so glad I had the opportunity to be in this place". I could say that about so many places we've ventured to, but it seemed particularly appropriate here as it's the second time I got to stand in Koln.

The traveling blues has begun to set in, as I suspected they might. I'm over the half way mark of the trip and maybe (just maybe) I am getting homesick. Or else it's something I ate ;-). However, I've got three more stops to go on my wayfaring so I'll just suck it up and carry on. Besides, reports from home are that the weather CERTAINLY isn't something I want to go running back to at any moment.

I am thankful for the opportunity to travel and will not complain because I have the opportunity to have the adventures that most people only dream of. There… Attitude Adjustment Complete!!

Next Stop: Berlin, German son Dennis and hopefully friend Pooja (another PR foreign exchange student ) Lucky me lucky me!!

No comments: