Friday, February 14, 2014

Farewell Israel Shalom

Our last day in Israel included visiting the Tel Aviv Museum of Modern Art, riding bicycles (although briefly), going for dinner by the beach and leaving the hostel at 3 am in order to get our rental car back by 4am.

I have really enjoyed this trip for many reasons: 1) I was able to spend time with my daughter, the most time since probably 2011. 2) I finally was able to see the "mysterious Israel"…after living in Kuwait, it seemed like this place had so much allure mainly because we couldn't visit. (well we could but it was sketchy) 3) Travelling is really fun. Yes it's got it's pains and challenges, especially if you're traveling with someone…anyone but all in all, I really enjoy seeing new places, meeting new people, etc.

But it's time to go. There's a strain here that wears on a person. I don't know if it's because I am so totally unfamiliar with the Jewish customs and practices that I am always afraid I'm going to offend someone or say something wrong. I am not sure if it's because everything is very expensive and I'm always cautious of spending even more money. Although our daughter warned us, I don't think I was prepared for how expensive everything (especially food) actually costs. Readers beware: SAVE UP if you plan to visit.

Maybe I feel like it's time to go  because I'm the tired of being the one in charge. Well that's not really true as I've depended on Anna ALOT  for translations, explanations, direction, etc. Believe it or not, I miss traveling with David, as it was always easier to have him make a lot of the decisions. ;-)  I owe you one Babe!

This coming week will find me on four planes, two trains and staying in four different homes. It's going to be a whirlwind visit with each, but I'm looking forward to having a chance to be less of a tourist and more of a friend. What a nice break before I hit it hard in Ireland with friends JER and MJR from Kuwait.

Bottom line: I'm still trying to process all what I saw, heard, tasted and experienced here. My respect for  our daughter has increased significantly as I've discovered that it's sometimes just "hard" to figure things out. As I said earlier, I am so glad I came here after living in the Middle East for five years. It was a great preparatory course.

A couple photos to end: We toured the Art Museum in Tel Aviv which has a great permanent collection. Here's a couple of photos. Nice way to end the trip. Next report will be from Germany…Cheers!
Anna viewing a black and white film that really made no sense to me whatsoever.
 A lovely painting of the Wailing Wall by a famous artist. When I took the picture I thought I would remember who, but in actuality, I don't. It's either Monet-Matisse-or Van Gogh…. I think.
 The funky parking lot we kept the rental car had art on the walls. The guy was a real crab but I do complement him on his attempt to make his basement dark walls a little bit more cultured.
I am sure that the beaches in Tel Aviv are lovely. Anna talks a lot about how much fun she had at the different beaches in the area. This is a google image. I had this view last night at dinner, only it was dark but I am sure that if it would have been daylight,  it looked like this!
Shalom Israel


No comments: