Thursday, February 27, 2014

10.000 Irish Steps

 We walked and walked and walked and walked yesterday through Dublin. We saw this place where a famous revolution started in 1916 *excuse my ignorance, I wasn't sure what it was, but it was very important to one of my traveling partners, her heritage is Irish. Then we went to Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells-a fascinating old OLD version of the first four Gospels (no photos allowed), then toured this old Library (see below). Very very cool. Then of course we toured the gift show below. Only tasteful cultural souvenirs purchased of course.

Tried to get my traveling companions to see this, but they weren't up for it. But it did make me giggle. I like the Irish people, they are very Very nice. And it's a perfect time to travel here as the crowds aren't everywhere.

 BUT I did see this Lepricaun so I felt much better. There are loads and loads of souvenirs that honor stereotypes which is nice, but we were on a hunt to find the Belleek, which is Irish stoneware that a couple of us collect. It actually took some time, but we managed to find a store that had it (and other fine things)
We went back and forth across this bridge a couple times in our quest to find the perfect souvenirs. We might have stopped at a few pubs during the day too. It was certainly a day of soaking up Irish Culture!

Two more full days of my great trip of a lifetime. In many respects, it's time to come home. I miss my man, my dog, my house, waking up in the same bed! I don't miss the cold (heard about the "next storm". I love traveling, and seeing new places, meeting new people, etc. But all good things must come to an end…until the next trip!

No comments: