Tuesday, November 4, 2008

VOTE YES!!

Election Day 2008. When I woke up this morning, I thought "today IS THE DAY that will change many things.

Not only the future of the US. There is much interest here in the US election. I think I've spoken about it before. The one thing the Kuwaitis (and others) don't get is that our election choice is a secret. I've been asked a number of times who I voted for (it's a secret!)

Our Humanities10 teacher did a very interesting thing, and something that should maybe be done in the real elections. She ran a Mock Election here in school and, instead of the names, she put two paragraphs indirectly quoting each candidate. So, in essence, one voted for what the person believed in and supported, rather than the NAME of the candidate.

Now I've already voted (took a taxi to the Embassy to make sure our ballots made the courier pouch) but as I voted in this Mock Election, all of a sudden, I realized that I didn't know as much about the ISSUES and OPINIONS of the candidates. I had to carefully read the material and slowly choose one (instead of quickly seeing the name of the candidate I wanted and checking it off).

When I put my ballot into the box, I asked our school public relations person (she was running the ballot box) which person was behind each statement. Thankfully I voted correctly in the REAL election (at least I voted for the one whose opinions and beliefs I can support!)

Also, I've not tried to make a political statement about what is happening back "home" BUT IF YOU LIVE IN PELICAN RAPIDS, GET OUT AND VOTE YES!!! FOR THE SCHOOL REFERENDUM. YOUR COMMUNITY AND YOUR CHILDREN NEED THIS VOTE.

Enough said--thank you for listening

*This advertisement wasn't paid for by anyone and probably isn't supported by half of the people who read this. But it's my right to say so and I did. Amen!

No comments: