Thursday, November 27, 2008

Things I've heard in Kuwait

"I love Christmas. It's such a good chance to get gifts"--from one Muslim girl to another


"Miss you're still not wearing a hijab. The boys here can see your hair"--from the persistent little Muslim girl who wants desperately for me to cover up my hair

"It's really cold today Miss, why are you wearing short sleeves?" (temperatures have dropped all the way down to ...70)

"Miss Nadine, you are wearing a long top and tight legged pants. You're becoming a Kuwaiti" (says my secretary on commenting on my new clothes purchased for a very cheap 5 KD (about 18$)

"Miss, we were good today. Where's that chocolate you promised us three weeks ago?"
(I made a bet with my students they couldn't learn a simple choreographed piece. They did it and I was out almost $40 in pocket to buy them chocolate bars. I still owe them another $40 worth of chocolate!)

"Miss, I have something important to tell you. (long pause) You have skinny legs"--young Muslim boy commenting on my long top and tight pants outfit.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hehe... oh, how I love those moments!

And, Miss, you really should wear a hijab.

;)