Monday, November 10, 2008

A conversation from my day

"Miss, you should really wear a hijab"
"Why do you think I should wear one?"
"Because Miss, (pause) well, you just should"
"Okay, you give me five good reasons why I should wear one and I'll consider it"
"Because you look good in one"
"thank you"
"But Miss, also because the book says you should"
"You mean the Q'ran?"
"Yes Miss the Book"
"well my dear, your book may tell you that, but MY book doesn't"
"oh but Miss..."
"No dear, your book is good for you and my book is good for me and let's leave it at that"
"oh but Miss, you really should wear a hijab"

(note: I wore a scarf covering my head to the Grand Mosque last week on a Grade 6 visit. Several students commented on how I looked and all the Islamic teachers were very appreciative. It wasn't out of kindness, we were "required to do so".)

No comments: