Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

Today would have been my parents 71st wedding anniversary if they were alive. I still remember the date and wish I could send them a card. For many years after they died, I could send a card to my friend DrBob's parents as they share the same anniversary. Alas, that's no longer possible either (hey CJ if you're reading-thinking of you)

It's funny how some dates stay in your mind. At least they stay in my mind. For example, I will always remember the date of my dad's death. Probably because it was the single most shocking event that has happened to me. On the first anniversary of his death, I drove to Herman to the cemetary. It rained all the way down (or was it my tears) and as I was driving I prayed for a "sign" from above that everything was alright. When I stepped out of my car at the cemetary, I saw the biggest rainbow I've ever seen. I took it as a sign.

Better ending to the above story: When I returned home to PElican RApids, I told the story to Ben (he was in 1st grade at the time). The next year, in second grade, the students were asked to make a calendar for their parents and draw a picture for each month. For the month of May, Ben drew a picture of a rainbow and a headstone. It brought tears to my eyes then and it still does now as I write about it.

I've started to commemorate the date by planting something in the ground. For those who don't know, my dad died while in his garden. With the hoe in his hand and the dog curled up by his side.It was a beautiful passing. Shocking at the time but peaceful now (at least for me). I also try to make a big deal out of a friend's birthday who is on that date. (here's to you--you know who you are!)

Part of my life motto is that BIRTHDAYS and ANNIVERSARIES should be a BIG DEAL. And just because someone isn't living--on this earth--doesn't mean that their special event can't be celebrated. SO, here's to anyone who is celebrating an anniversary or birthday this week (Like my Ugly and Lucy B) and anyone else. CELEBRATE BIG while you are here. And hopefully someone will remember your date when you are no longer dancin' on this earth.

Now I'm going to go find someone to take out to supper in honor of my parents.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

Hi Nadine,

I've been trying to keep up, but afraid I'm woefully behind. I so much agree with what you said about CELEBRATING Birthdays, Anniversaries and those we love. I don't think we do near enough of that!

Also, I so agree with what you said about educators. I can't believe that to me it seems to be the most important job anyone can have (except being a parent) and yet CEO's have golden parachutes and we can't seem to understand why we can't have good educators if we aren't willing to compensate them for what they do. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks being a teacher means an 8 hour a day job with three months off in the summer and every holiday and weekends. If that's their idea of what a teacher is, then they don't know and REAL teachers!

Take care, be well, know you are loved!

Hugs,
Bobbie