Wednesday, November 5, 2008

No appropriate words

In every election there's a winner and a loser. People gather around the winner and applaud and cheer. People gather around the loser and give hugs of support and tell them they did their best.

While the candidate of my political choice won (unbelievable!), I am saddened by the news that the Pelican Rapids school referendum vote failed by 33 votes!!That means well over $1 million dollars will have to be cut from the PR school budget next year. This past year over $770,000 in cuts were made. We felt those cuts very deeply and personally. It's why we are in Kuwait.

When we agreed to move, I knew there would be times when I would give everything just to return for a death or the loss of something. It's one of those times when I wish I could be there for friends.

I know so many people worked so hard-the administration, the school board, the various committees in the district. People who care about the future of the students--even those whose own children have long since graduated worked very, very hard.

It's hard to stomach the outcome over here, I can't imagine the pain those in Vikingland are experiencing. When I found out this afternoon (thanks Marguerite for the email) I let out such a loud gasp that my students thought someone had died. Well, in way, it is a death of dreams, hopes, wishes and for some, employment.

When people vote with their pocketbook and not their heads, it's disappointing. I haven't heard the facts yet (hoping to soon) but I can imagine that there was a certain percent of the voting population who "killed" the vote. Granted,I don't know all the facts, I'm thousands of miles away. However, I can tell from here what the future will be. And it's not pretty.

Personal Soapbox time:

People who work in education don't do it for the money. Oh yeah, those of you not involved can make all the comments you want about "three months off, every holiday, no weekends, etc". And you'd be right, those are great perks. But everyone I know well who is in education has a great deal of passion and heart for their job and when it comes down to it, they are there because they love children and believe in their responsibility to help make the future better by working with children.
We were willing to pay additional tax $$ and we won't even be there for a couple years to see the direct benefits.

If you see an educator, thank them. If you see an educator from PR, offer to buy them a beer (or coffee) and listen to their story. And, give them the encouragement they need to face the students whose very lives will be affected by the decision to not support education.

Here's a hug from Kuwait. To those of you who voted YES, thanks for the support. And to those who voted NO...

1 comment:

love2hike said...

Bless you for all you do, Nadine! Your comments touch many people.