Monday, November 10, 2008

Not your average quick run to Larry's (Supermarket)

When we want to go to the grocery store, we need to plan it because we either ride with the BFFs' or we take a taxi. Tonight, due to auditions and other fun things, we weren't able to go shopping until 830 pm. The Indian taxi driver, Robyn, told us "You people shouldn't be out past 600". I think he meant that we would encounter traffic, not that we weren't safe.

So we ended up stuck in traffic for a half an hour (and heard Robyn's life story about being a taxi driver for 30 years-it was interesting-and sad). Anyway, we got to the store and found it absolutely packed with people! People with little kids who should be in bed (that's my opinion) People buying stuff like it was a snowstorm in Georgia. When we got out of the store at 1015, I was amazed. It was like it was 430 on the day before Thanksgiving! I am still not used to the rhythms of people here.

We spend about 30 dinar a week on groceries ($100) which is about what we spent in PR. As I was pushing the cart through the (crowded) aisles, I was amazed at the selection and the variety of types of foods. We can get over a dozen types of olives. over 15 types of rice, 10 different types of milk, over 15 different brands of cornflakes (that's about all they have for cereal tho unless one likes the super hyped up choco balls of sugar) and the seafood selection is unbelieveable.

Also at the grocery store (called a Hypermarket!) we can get pictures developed, purchase jewelry, (diamonds and fake diamonds), buy a complete wardrobe (at the indian store or the Japanese "dollar" store). We could also buy shoes, pick up a cell phone or, if I was in the mood, buy a number of lovely hijabs (scarves covering the head).

When we get home, as we are putting away groceries, I look at the food we purchased and I still think "there's nothing in my refridgerator". I don't think THAT'S unique to Kuwait either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is Robyn the tall bearded gentleman - i knew him till I moved from that neighborhood...nice guy