Monday, October 20, 2008

To Be or Not To Be... (somedays that's enough of a Question!)


Teaching 6th graders takes a lot of energy. These students are bright, fun, energetic and willing to learn. Some days, however, are better than others. Currently I am teaching them how to not be afraid of making mistakes on stage. I'm also trying to show them how to become better audience members (let's just say they are a "Chatty" bunch!)

The Kuwaiti audiences are, ahem, louder than us NorthAmrkans are used to! They are "participatory" to say the least. The other day in class, a student did something very well and the class reacted by laughing hysterically. Another student stood up and yelled at the acting student "Do it Again, I missed it". (and that's considered acceptable behavior!)

David and I are attempting to teach them that, when they leave Q8, other cultures will think they are RUDE if they continue to make noises, talk back and engage in loud personal conversations during the performances. However, I do know that this is not unique to Kuwait (been to a movie lately in North America?) Has TV wrecked our ability to be a good audience? Or do we think we have a God(Allah) given right to comment on every action we see others do--even if they are performing.

Having said all that, I know that it's not totally unique to the Middle East. When David worked at the Guthrie Theatre, I heard a story of audience "participation". Peter Michael Goetz was one of the Acting Ensemble and had been for a number of years. He was a very familiar face to audience members at the Flying G. One night a couple of older ladies came a little late to the play, saw PMG on stage and walked right up to him and asked him where their seat was (yes, in the middle of his performance). Being the gracious man he is, he stopped his performance, helped the ladies to their seats and then continued on with his acting (much to the delight of the audience who gave him a rousing round of applause).

Being a good audience member is important and so is being QUIET. God Give Me Strength as I attempt to pass along this Nuggest of Wisdom.

1 comment:

Mariam Almisbah said...

I am a Kuwaiti, and I totally agree to what you said!!

I feel so embarrassed when the audience act this way!! I guess it all started when the plays started to get worse in Kuwait.. The Kuwaiti actors sometimes make funny comments the audience reaction, which made them think it's something totally fine ..

What do I say? the plays and audiences suck in Kuwait!! What a shame >.<