Monday, October 27, 2008

Snow News is Good (?) News




These pictures arrived from friend JC with news of a mini-blizzard back in good ol' MN. Picture A is when it started and Picture B is the finish. Sorry I missed out on the fun. WAY Sorry for my pal JC who runs PR's bus service. Days like this make for sleepless night.

Although I am concerned for my friend's wellfare, I still smiled and let out a little laugh because the only snow I will see this year will be in pictures. I teach children who may have never seen snow (well, some have a chalet in Switzerland so I imagine they have some opportunity to see the big flakes).

Growing up in MN helped foster my vivid imagination. Building snowforts and snow sculptures, having an army of snowmen, playing breakup with the ice, these things helped grow neutrons (neorons?) in my brain. C'mon when it's snowing for three days straight, one Has to be creative in order to keep your sanity. I have fond memories of being stuck on the farm with my neices and nephew and how we played paddleball with our breath (okay, you had to be there). I also have fond memories of the time I got snowed in with my 5 girlfriends while my parents were on the only trip they ever took. Hhmmm, my children will probably never hear that story.

I also believe that people who live in four season climates are "mentally healthy" because we (they?) can use the weather as a great excuse to bitch about things. That way it gets all the stress out of your system complaining about the bad roads, the lousy cold, etc etc. And you can handle the big issues of life better.

My MN friends in PR (and Fargo and parts around the area) were all probably releasing their "inner anger" recently when the snow came down...before Halloween even. I will miss the opportunity to complain (at least about the weather).

Here-it's supposed to be cold. 68 F...with a chance of rain. Too bad I left my winter coat back in the closet.

I truly don't know how these children grew up without the chance to play in the snow--hey they don't even get a chance to have a SNOW DAY (one of the great pleasures of life in a four season climate as far as I'm concerned). Although I have heard that we could get a DUST Day (it could be too hazardous to go outside if there's a high wind). And, if it does rain and the drains can't handle the water (which does happen) we could get a rain day.

Alas, one thing I do know. If we do have a day cancelled for weather, I won't be making a Marguarita run before getting stuck at friends house.

No comments: