Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Gulf Therapy



I've just returned from my first night of Competent Crew Sailing class. It was heaven! To be out on the water, in the full moon with six really interesting people, learning something I've wanted to know about for the past 24 years is just amazing. Being on the water once a week will definately cure whatever is ailing me (and even if there isn't something ailing me, it will be great!)

I didn't bring a camera (didn't want to see like a dweeb on the first night) but I will capture some Kodak moments during the next 10 weeks I promise.This photo is "lifted" from yahooimages. But you can pretend it's me..

Tonight, among other things, I finally figured out the different between Port and Starboard. Okay, give up? You drink your PORT wine with your left hand while you are pointing up at the STARs with your right hand. I made that up while sailing (okay so it was a little quiet tonight and I had some time to daydream). I also learn other useful things which will help me get my crew certificate.

Along for this adventure are LiverpoolLady, the captain's wife and organizer of the training; KuwaitOilGuy, who works not in the oil fields but in research-he's Canadian/Slovokian; Kuwait AirForce Guy-he's a hoot! About my size, originally from Wales. Great accent and funny as hec; Adonis-the hunky (but way too young) Columbian guy who is a scuba diver. He's about 25 and his smile can cause any young girl's heart to spin; and there's Robotech guy, another AIS teacher. I don't know him well, but his classroom is two doors down from mine so we'll have bonding time every Tuesday night.

However, the best member of the crew is definately Dasher (the only real name given in thie blog), the beautiful collie. She really owns the boat. She walks wherever, whenever and if she's laying on a rope then, too bad, you don't need the rope. While we were taking down the sail, she lays right below our feet. She's part of the natural hazard of sailing on the boat. She's also great therapy for me with my two "girls" still back in the states. I'd go just to be nuzzled by her each week.

What a great, unbelieveable opportunity. I promise I won't fall off the boat (remember there's no wine here). Thanks for one of my favorite 4HBuddies, JimiJoe, who got me hooked on sailing 24 years ago. Maybe you can join me on the gulf sometime.

No comments: