Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No News is Sometimes Okay

We've chosen not to have a television. We actually own a television but we've elected not to pay for the TV service here as a cost saving measure and to see if we can get along without it. We do however watch DVDs--a guy comes around our apartments and sells them to us for 1 KD (about $3.75). We can watch most new releases-- in fact, we could have watched Death Race the day after it hit the movie theatres (yes you guessed it, someone videotaped it and made a copy). Sometimes things are censored (I didn't get to see all of the latest Batman movie, but what I saw was enough)

Anyway, the news I know is either from friends (thank you for all the Sarah Palin posts btw) or from whatever is on the frontpage of the Yahoo! homepage.

Today there was a classic headline (and I am NOT making this up)

BOYFRIEND OF WOMAN STUCK IN TOILET WINS LOTTERY FOR THE 2ND TIME

--tell me I'm really missing something by not having news from the US

No comments: