Sunday, October 19, 2008

Confessions of a (Reformed) Cat Hater..Part 2

Okay, you may have seen this coming.I know I didn't. We are now the owners of Germo, a small, cute as a bug's ear, kitten. As is C-A-T. As in, I hate cats.

It went down like this...
Anna has been enjoying Kuwait a lot (meaning she's got quite an active social life) which also means that we don't see her alot. And that leads to feelings of separation (on my part, not necessarily hers). So when she called me the other night and said "Mommy (that always gets me)..I'm sitting here at Pizza Hut and this really cute kitten just came to our table and he has a hurt foot and he's really cute and can we keep him...pleeeease?"
Well, what could a mother say but "yes darling daughter".
SO
she brought the cat home and proceeded to make it a home.
In the mean time, David was having a horrible, no-good, very bad day (just a typical 'I'm overworked and underloved and got too much to do before the next day' teacher day). By 9 pm he was ready to leave the school (after a typical 14 hour day), I mentioned to him "Oh by the way darling, your daughter has a cat at home". He was NOT happy.David hates cats more than I do.I knew we were in for more "Family dysFUNction.

Half an hour later when I got home, Anna was in her room, door shut, David was out reading his book,and there was no cat in the house. David calmly, but coldly, told me of his general displeasure with me, our daughter and the cat. Anna tells me that she followed Dad outside, found where he placed the cat, took him up to our roof (it's a protected area up there) and the cat would hide there during the day and she would bring the cat down when Dad wasn't home.

SO the daughter and I proceeded to carry off this plot for a day and a half (David knew what was going on, I think, he just choose not to acknowledge it). Then Friday evening there was a party on the roof and the cat couldn't be there, so the cat spent 5 hours with me. David was gone tutoring, Anna was gone-(of course, remember-social life and all)SO it was just me and the 2 pound ball of energy.

I started out thinking of ways the cat couldn't climb on things or poop in the living room. For kicks, I tried to get a photo of the cat, but I couldn't because he was running too fast around the apartment. The darn thing ended up curling up by my neck and purrrrring and sleeping and nuzzling and generally working it's way into my heart.

End of story? Nadine found she liked the cat.Nadine even cried when it was time to give up the cat to the local Humane society (the first "family compromise). Anna smiled and said she just "assumed" all along that she would win and we would keep the cat. And David?
Well, he sighed and said he could "live with the cat". I think I've found another reason why I love that boy.
Stay tuned for obnoxious cat pictures.

PS Please don't tell Angel and Zowie--they will never forgive us.

No comments: