Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Potluck Kuwaiti Style





Today we had a Potluck. Although it wasn't called that, rather it was a "tell your maid (or mom) to make some National Dish and bring enough to share with 100 people". I really enjoyed this opportunity to find out the name of things I've been eating for 6 months.

Photo 1) cakes, raesh (very sugary cubes) and arabic dumplings ( a little like donuts). The Kuwaitis do love their sweets. I've tasted some fabulous desserts. Unfortunately there is a high incidence of diabetes in this country.
2) Machbous Diyay: rice with Chicken. There's also raisins, coconut and other fabulous spices. This is my favorite dish.
3) Tamr: dates. Kuwaiti meals traditionally begin with dates and tea (especially at Ramadan time, dates are eaten first to break the fast). I've not aquired a taste for them, although I have tried. Actually I've seen several meals begin with dates but never actually seen someone eat them. Maybe I'm wrong, but it reminds me of fruit cake--where you have one but no one actually eats them.

Okay-this is the part where you can turn up your nose in disgust, but it's just a fact of life here
We have our maid, Mali, cook for us once a week. She's Sri Lankan and comes up with all sorts of interesting things to eat. So far my favorite thing has been Eggs, Onions and Potatoes. She cooks the potatoes, puts fried onions on top and fried eggs on top of that. Don't knock it until you try it. Somedays I am not sure exactly what I am eating. Momma Esther taught me well, I always try something before I say I don't like it.

No comments: