Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Beat Goes On




Dear Anna Leigh:

Congradulations for making it to your 16th year! What an exciting time for you. I'm sorry I can't be with you, but I imagine that being able to say "Hey I turned 16 in Eqypt" will be a great icebreaker for you one day. It certainly beats my "hey when I was 16 I was in the hospital with ulcers" story.

Your world is so different from mine at your age. You have such poise, such self confidence, such a strong sense of self. You don't seem to be bothered by what people think or what the popular thing to do. You are content with yourself and your friends and your studies.

You also seem to be blessed with your father's metabolism which makes you a physical beauty as well. It makes your father and I nervous when you go out at night but you seem to be able to handle yourself well and not be bothered by some low-life who may try to comment. I've seen your icy stares and know that not much gets past that look.

I'm proud of you, in awe of you and a little jealous. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be 16 again for all the money in Kuwait. As I watch you, I see so much of myself in you (which makes you crazy to hear this, I know). Having said that, I know that there are certain life lessons ahead that your personality and stubborness will not always be your friend. Oh well, I had to learn them and so do you.(that's what your father would say.) You know me, I'd rather take all the bumps for you. Well maybe not, you seem to be able to handle them just fine)

So my advice (which again you didn't ask for) is to keep on marchin' to the beat of your drum girl. It's a great rhythm for you and I'm happy to be at least nearby to watch the band as it goes by.
Your Momma who loves you.

No comments: