Tuesday, February 10, 2009

At last, a "Normal" day at AIS

Today, we survived quite nicely without a bomb threat, or evacuation, or anything else that made our normally straight hair curl. However, after talking with the HS secretary, she said it wasn't exactly normal for her as many parents called in to express their frustration, concern, fears, etc. I can't blame the parents, it was a frustrating time. And, as I mentioned, this is quite a dramatic culture.

I will admit there weren't as many absences as I thought there would be, so I am grateful for the parents continued trust. I am glad most were willing to return to normal as quickly as possible so the students can see that we are a functioning school and that we have serious teaching and learning happening here.

The local website mentioned in yesterday's post has several postings about the event, including someone pretending to be one of our teachers (not at all funny to him) and someone pretending to be a Vice Principal at our school (which we don't even have!). Again, a reminder that what you read in a blog isn't always real (ah, I do tell the truth in mine..most of the time..except when I want to overexaggerate, which I never, ever, in a million years would not do...smile)

The blog also featured a "leaked" picture of the device, which made me wonder how they go it, because as far as I know, immediately after it was found, the device was taken into the administration office. SO I wonder if the "bomber" took the picture themselves, then "leaked" it (quotes intentional folks) OR if there's someone who was "selling" the picture.

In North America, children in the 21st century have possibly become immune to words like bomb threats, lock downs, code red,school shootings. All words that didn't exist when I attended school in the 70s. The biggest prank that was ever pulled at HHS was when the "girls" (minus me because they left the party without me) drove across the lawn on the night of our graduation. The driver got caught and had to go to court. The funniest part of the story is that today she is a lawyer!! Probably her last criminal brush with the law.

This whole situation has made me realize that the students here, while they may live close to a war situation, have a certain lack of knowledge about this sort of pranks and realities. I think that's maybe a good thing.

Today, one of our owners, who was a Colonel in the Kuwait Army before his retirement, spoke to our high school students in Arabic .tThis is to indicate the seriousness of the situation. He told them that we are a school of learning, this is not funny, they have an idea who is it and when they are caught, it will no longer be a fun prank. Students seemed to take it seriously, but what really got their attention, was when it was "threatened" that we would have school on Saturdays to make up for the lost time.

I applaud the administration and teachers here who have gone through two tough days. I sympathize with the parents who may be wondering what "is going on" here. And I pray for patience and understanding. Having gone through a real-life trauma last April at PRHS, I know what it is like when there's a true tragedy. Give me this "fake panic" any day.

I was going to place a picture of the device-taken from the local blog that published it, along with several false postings. but I didn't want to add anymore reality to the situation. Suffice it to say, the device looked homemade. I still agree that the whole situation had to be taken seriously. For my part, I'm trying to get back to normal(whatever that may be!) And, because I'm a nice teacher, I postponed my planned test until next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The good thing about Kuwait is that it is a safe country. Always has been. Except for some historical misadventures by neighbors. I think we read about pranks like these in the papers at least once a month. Nevertheless every threat (though prank calls) must be taken seriously, given the perilous nature of these threats.
Its good to know that nothing happen to anyone...