Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm Sorry

This is for my loved ones and friends in PR who recently had to endure the third loss of a referendum vote. I don't know if words can express healing but I want you to know that I'm thinking of you in the desert.

I'm sorry that the vote lost.

I'm sorry for all the students. There is no other way to say this: they are the ones getting screwed by lack of foresightedness of the people who voted "no". I'm really glad that there was someone who had the foresight to pay for the children of the people who voted "no" when they were going to school. At least they can say they got a quality education unhampered by budget cuts.

I'm sorry for my friends who worked SO HARD on getting the vote passed. Those people who keep saying great things about the PR district and who truly believe that this is the best answer for everyone. I'm sorry that it must seem right now that your hard work was for nothing.

I'm sorry for the teachers and staff who currently work in the district. It must be so incredibly gut-wrenching to return to school each day, smile, be positive and carry on as if things will be just fine for the PR students. I just wrapped up a big batch of Kuwaiti sunshine to send to you.

On a personal level, I'm very VERY sorry because it decreases the chances of us returning to PR with jobs at the school. This pains me significantly as I love my life in PR and was looking forward to returning. Now I'm not so sure what the future holds for us.

Having said the above, I know that the same people that I just apologized to are holding their heads up high, carrying on in the best way they can because, that's the kind of people they are. People who are optimistic, who realize that life is full of ups and downs and that it doesn't do any good to cry over "spilt milk/votes" because it can't change the outcome. These people believe that THINGS WILL WORK OUT...somehow. People who are probably already thinking of ways to gear up for the FOURTH VOTE.

So I'm trying to send you all energy, peace and wishes for healing from the desert. You're right-you've got to carry on for the kids. Because they ARE WHO REALLY MATTER right now.

Unfortunately, we didn't get ballots this time. We were waiting to vote Yes. We still pay taxes on our home and lake property. We did the math and were ready to pay the increase because we believe in the district and know that it was a necessary thing. I even called the school on the day of election to see if an email vote would have been allowed. Alas, it was not.

It's your right as an American to express your opinion by votes. At least you live in a country where you CAN do that. Through my experiences here, I've learned to be SO THANKFUL for the rights and freedoms that North Americans have.

As my momma taught me not to say anything bad about people, I will not say any more "bad" things about those who voted no. However, I will say what my mother said to me when I did something bad and irresponsible:

"Shame on you"

Respectfully
Nadine and David Brown
Tax Payers in the Pelican Rapids School District
who will be figuring out what we could have paid in taxes and donating to the school

No comments: