Saturday, May 22, 2010

Happy 500th

This is the 500th blog entry I've made since opening up Kuwait Kuwait Don't Tell Me. A lot of life has happened since then. Thankfully a lot of life is still happening.
When I wrote that first entry on my couch in PR in March 08, I don't think I could even fathom what life would be like 500 entries down the road. Now, as I sit on my coach in Q8, I'm reflecting back on what we've seen, what we've conquered, what we miss, etc. At the time I started that blog, I truly didn't think I could survive living in the desert. I was scared to death to move. I cried a lot. And David would tell you, I also drank alot. (I think I was trying to be like a camel to see if I could store beer in my system but he doesn't buy it)

PR Becca said after visiting my house "you don't have as many pictures up of Pelican Rapids as I thought you would." That's true, but I did confess to her that when we first arrived the house was filled with people and places from back home. I've managed to pare down the reminder shots to a manageable number including Pelican Pete, the Pelican by the side of the old creamery (one of my all time favorites), a shot of the Minnesota Welcomes You sign (on Highway 94 coming from the Fargo airport) , a couple precious cabin shots, and a smattering of families Christmas photos on the fridge. Well, I guess I should also tell you about the 75+ shots of family and friends in two large photos on the kitchen wall.

My mother used to have her entire kitchen wall filled with photos of every child, grandchild, great grandchild. It took up her entire kitchen wall above the table. We called in the Family Wall of Fame, because you knew you were loved when you walked in that house and looked at the wall. I probably made fun of it at the time, but now I understand why she did it. Mom spent most of her time in that kitchen and I bet it made her feel loved to have her family around her.

Every morning, I look at the two large picture frames filled with shots of family and friends and it gives me the courage to face the day in the desert. As I see each person smiling at me (I took the photos so I know they are smiling at me) it fills my heart. I can even look at it now without crying, which is a good thing.

Years ago I used to have a saying hanging in my bedroom. I haven't thought about the sign for years, but this morning, the saying popped into my year. I guess it's a fitting way to end this post.

"We all need to have people who mean something to us. People to whom we can turn knowing that being with them is coming home."

Thanks for reading #500 ...and all the others. As Billy Joel says, "You're My Home".

No comments: