Thursday, May 27, 2010

The BEST Day in Q8 Ever!!

Yesterday was the BESTEST day I've had since living here.

It began when we were invited to have tea and "chipolles" at a nearby tea shop with school friends. I didn't even know this place existed but it was definately a treat. About as big as my living room, it served the best chai tea ever. And these chipolles can only be described as delightful. A round, deep fried pancake looking thing with just a hint of sugary taste. And of course as often happens with groups here, the conversation and company was fantastic.

After we made it to school (almost on time), and then I proceeded to have a productive day in my office. We're done with classes here, just working on getting things organized for next year. Our students spend a full week in exams so they're finally finished studying.

At the end of the day, I joined two fun and amazing women for coffee at Starbucks. We laughed and carried on for about two hours. One of the friends will be returning to Canada next year but we aren't thinking about that, we're just living in the moment.

In the evening we were invited to the parents of one of my piano students. It was a tremendous evening with conversations with people whose original homes were England, China, Turkey, Lebanon, and Kuwait. The hosts contracted with "the Best Lebanese Chef in Kuwait" to make these wonderful Ka-bobs. It was ground meat mixed with spices, then these were "molded" around a shish kabob stick and flame cooked on a smoker. Plus other goodies. Mr G is an engineer but he's really a musician at heart so there was lots of music and singing mixed in.

As I fell asleep, I almost felt "at home" here with our lifestyle. I didn't even bitch about the 110 temps. Maybe the farm girl really is adjusting to life in the desert....stay tuned for details.

No comments: