Tuesday, December 30, 2008

End of Year Ramblings

Usually at this time of the year, I take stock of my life and figure out what I want to change (lose weight, stop biting my fingernails, save money, listen more, talk less) and what I have accomplished during the year (moving to a foreign country, starting a new teaching job, disposing of many of my "things") and think about what the new year will bring.(still to be determined).

My resolutions for this year are more or less the same ones as I have always had, so that hasn't changed. What I wish for next year will be different due to our experiences during the past year. I know I have "Grown up" a little bit (!) as a result of all we went through to get here and what we have experienced since arriving in August.

Recently, I was encouraged to forget about what is happening back home and start
living my life here. I think I am doing that,as best I can. It's been hard to make new
friends, find a new life, learn a new job, etc. But most days I think I am handling it. Please don't feel sorry for me, I know we asked for it.

However, to keep my sanity and "reality base", I have decided that I have a need to still keep in touch with what is "Home" to me. Writing down my experiences and thoughts keeps me centered. It also is important, I think, to have a diary of what is going on so that one day I can reflect on this part of my life and say "Wow, what did I do?!" . And I guess it's not so bad to share my diary, as long as I don't put any nasty pictures or lurid details of my life (smile!)

Some days it's hard to me to make sense of what has happened to my life. Can you imagine if I sat down at the Round table and said(read with an arrogant accent for full effect)
"Yes we travelled to Venice and Florence and then to Paris and Germany. We went to Brussels for a day, then over to the Netherlands for lunch. We stopped in Rome, but were tired and stressed so we decided to go home". Yet it was my Christmas holiday.
*the Round Table in PR is the round table (duh) in a local cafe where all IMPORTANT life decisions and conversations are made. If you grew up in a small town, you understand how this works.*

Yes, living overseas gives tremendous benefits and opportunities.

But you have to remember that what I just described is sort of like saying , "we went to North and South Dakota, Iowa and Wisconsin". The countries are pretty close.And the train service in Europe is so wonderful that it's quite easy to just hop on and go somewhere.

However, living overseas also means that you give up a bit of stability. What may seem boring and humdrum to you in North America would sometimes seem really nice and normal to me. I'm compiling a list in my head that's vaguely titled "Things You Take for Granted Living in North America". I'll write about it one day.

What I'm trying (in my normal, winded fashion) to say are these two things:

1) While I am enjoying this new life and the opportunities we've been given, I also miss a little bit of stability and for sure, familiarity. I know one can't have it all (I keep looking for my cake to save and eat!). Through my ramblings, I'm just trying to make sense of what this whole experience is giving us.
2) I want to say THANK YOU for reading this blog, for making comments, for sending emails, for answering our skype calls, for your willingness to learn and share about our lives. It IS IMPORTANT to know there is someone on the other end reading it. My Dinah told me yesterday "We have coffee together every morning" (love ya sweetie!). That made my day. *I'll take mine with cream thank you

I'll keep writing, posting pictures and sharing my views of what living in the Middle East is like. And know that while your life may not seem exciting (or maybe it is?!) much of the world is not stable. Be thankful for where you are.

Happy End of 2008, and Joyous Wishes for 2009. Do your part for world peace, continue to love yourselves and each other and May all YOUR resolutions come true (or at least may you enjoy breaking the ones you made!)

Your Faithful Reporter in the Middle East
NWB

1 comment:

Moderator said...

Happy New Year, Browns! I am thinking about you a lot, and send sincere sympathy with the loss of David's mom.
I was the 2009th visitor to your blog tonight, an hour before our New Year 2009 arrived. I stop in a few times a week, and enjoy your posts. Hang in there, and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Crys Thorson